Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Black Friday

Today was a consumer kind of day
I bought some recipes of ethnic rules
from a lady dressed in a white man’s shirt
Her black skin was like someone spilled night fall
in her pores to shadow her bruised hands
which shove labels of primitive concepts
of how to really be a black woman
In my own fingers I clutch these lessons
and nod twice in her direction
to let her know I purchased her message
She pierces me with dull pellets for eyes
to let me know that this is the real deal
“You ain’t gonna find nothing like this here!”
Points at me with the sass of Etta James
I need to add more flavor to my voice
Shake my hips when I walk by gentlemen
We’ll be stirring in bed when the moon comes
“A Phenomenal Woman you will be!”
Raises her hand like she’s reaching for God
With closed eyes she whispers a prayer for me
“Let this young black woman live in pure joy”
She sways from side to side under the clouds
I look at the labels I bought from her

No comments:

Post a Comment